Just like other areas in your life, it is much faster to get somewhere if you know where you are going.
Setting financial goals is the first step to mapping out your journey to financial freedom and ensuring you are on the most direct path with the least roadblocks.
It is a common myth that financial planning is only for people of an older age group or more affluent income bracket. The sooner one starts, the sooner one can move closer to where they want to be in life.
A good financial adviser will help you set goals and give you practical advice and strategies for how to get there. They will ask you questions and delve deeper to truly understand what your priorities are today, and in the future. To prepare, consider the following:
- What matters most to you in life?
- What are your short-term goals in the next 5 years? Are you looking to buy your first house or are you looking to transition into retirement?
- What big-ticket items and expenses do you envision over the next 5 to 10 years? Are you looking to start a family, renovate your house or are you thinking about an education fund for your children?
- What makes you happy in life? Are you planning a big overseas holiday? What could you not go without?
- Which financial matters worry you the most? Are you worried about debt repayments or job security?
- What financial areas do you least understand and struggle with the most? Is it day-to-day cashflow, superannuation or investments
Once you have made a list with your goals, it is important to prioritise them. Having this information ready will provide your financial adviser with a good understanding of what you want out of life and they will help you set goals and develop a plan with strategies on how to achieve them.
The best financial advisers will be honest and will ensure that your goals are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely) based on your situation. They will provide advice on budgeting, cashflow management and wealth accumulation/management strategies to fast track your journey.
Need help setting financial goals? Get in touch with Talem Wealth and thrive financially.